Taking the Bite out of Termite Infestations
While some house pests are considered a nuisance, termites pose a much bigger risk. By feeding on wood, termites can cause structural damage to a home and can cause safety issues that can require substantial repairs. If you are concerned about termites, read on to learn more about these dangerous pests and the types of termite treatments Fort Myers FL has to offer.
Types of Termites
There are three types of termites. Subterranean termites nest underground, entering your home where the house comes into contact with soil. Drywood termites can be found outside inside dying trees, utility poles and fences, but they travel into a house to infest areas like the attic. Dampwood termites nest in the decaying wood of logs and stumps.
Signs of a Termite Problem
Key indications that it’s time to contact pest control include:
- Evidence of termites – Discarded wings near closed windows and doors is a sign of a termite swarm. Drywood termites will leave behind feces that looks like mounds of sawdust on surfaces.
- Blistered wood – Areas resembling water damage can form on floor surfaces.
- Hollowed wood – Feeding termites will leave grooves inside floors and walls, making the wood sound hollow.
Treatments for a Termite Problem
Once termites are suspected in a home, it is best to contact a company that specializes in termite control. The different treatment options include:
- Termiticide Treatment- Chemicals can be placed in the soil around the home and onto the wood areas that have been compromised by termites. This method can also prevent new colonies from forming inside your home.
- Heat Treatment – A heat blower that can reach up to 140 degrees Farenheit can kill termites living inside the wood. This is especially helpful if there are areas of moist wood inside the home.
- Gas Treatment – Usually for drywood termites, a chemical gas is used to penetrate the wood to kill them.
While termites can cause damage to a home, with proper inspection and treatment, it is easy to win the battle aganist these common household pests.